Tip of day (by Pat [VA]) Oct 11, 2017 3:26 PM|
Tip of day (by Landlord ofthe Flies [TX]) Oct 11, 2017 4:06 PM
Tip of day (by Rick [IN]) Oct 11, 2017 4:26 PM
Tip of day (by plenty [MO]) Oct 11, 2017 6:07 PM
Tip of day (by AllyM [NJ]) Oct 11, 2017 6:12 PM
Tip of day (by cjo'h [CT]) Oct 11, 2017 11:06 PM
Tip of day (by BRAD 20,000 [IN]) Oct 12, 2017 12:12 AM
Tip of day (by Vee [OH]) Oct 12, 2017 5:05 AM
Tip of day (by Pat [VA]) Oct 12, 2017 6:13 AM
Tip of day (by melinda [MD]) Oct 12, 2017 7:24 AM
Tip of day (by Pat [VA]) Posted on: Oct 11, 2017 3:26 PM
We're cleaning up a turn-over unit and it is the 1st time I've ever encountered a hot wax deposit on a wall. I took a single edge razor in the holder, gently shaved as many thin layers as possible off,down to the wall, without gouging a hole in it. Then I used a Magic Eraser on it & it removed all of the residue.
Evidently they slung a candle out of the back door but it wasn't a clean "sling" with quite a bit of melted pink wax adhering to the wall.
Always like to share a method that works, never know when it might happen to you!
Tip of day (by Landlord ofthe Flies [TX]) Posted on: Oct 11, 2017 4:06 PM
I've had luck with a paper bag and iron. Tear off a piece of bag, place it over wax, then iron bag. The iron heats the wax and the bag absorbs the melted wax. Works on fabrics too. --108.69.xxx.xxx
Tip of day (by Rick [IN]) Posted on: Oct 11, 2017 4:26 PM
Your doing it all wrong! Make MORE wax deposits on the walls and ceilings. Paint over these, say it is "Old World ambiance :)" and charge more for this. --99.197.xx.xxx
Tip of day (by plenty [MO]) Posted on: Oct 11, 2017 6:07 PM
Cheap candles are the worst! Tenant though it was mold... No it was your cheap candle wax on the wall and your household dust sticking to it. Stop blowing out your cheap candles... There is a tool to put out candles! And stop saying my house, your home has mold... Clean up your own mess! Good grief! What's a Landlord to do! Oh i know, vacation! --66.87.xx.xx
Tip of day (by AllyM [NJ]) Posted on: Oct 11, 2017 6:12 PM
Found out today that tenant in Big Federal Period duplex is using candles in jars. Yankee Candle is the company name and they are highly scented. They have a gadget that looks like a jar lid with a metal cut out design in the top and it stops most of the black soot. However I can see not all of the black soot gets stopped.
But why do people need to have these highly scented things? I do remember my mother back in the fifties using some horrible smell called Air Wick. The lid would screw open and a piece of ugly looking cloth would lift up and the horrible smell would come out that smelled like some kind of hospital antiseptic. I figure she was going to tell dad she cleaned the house and that's why it smells like that when she was either sewing or something other.
Why do people need all these creepy sweet flowery scents? --73.33.xxx.xxx
Tip of day (by cjo'h [CT]) Posted on: Oct 11, 2017 11:06 PM
Pat, your idea is good,also the brown paper bag or paper towel and hot iron is also good,only don't burn your fingers or arm!Charlie.................................................................................. --174.199.xx.xxx
Tip of day (by BRAD 20,000 [IN]) Posted on: Oct 12, 2017 12:12 AM
Thanks! I never thought of a magic eraser to remove wax! I'll tell the housekeeper. We basically use a heat gun to melt, degreaser and a rag to wipe off that final thin residue.
And why were they slinging a candle out the door anyway??
Tip of day (by Vee [OH]) Posted on: Oct 12, 2017 5:05 AM
Well you know those armchair quarterbacks have to try something, right? I have heard about that eraser but never got one yet, be sure to get all your estimates together for your deposit accounting statement and pay out of the deposit as needed to restore to movein condition. --76.188.xxx.xx
Tip of day (by Pat [VA]) Posted on: Oct 12, 2017 6:13 AM
There were a LOT of crayon/pen marks on the walls, so that was why I had the Magic Eraser. It was just a whim that I tried it on the wax residue and I couldn't believe how well it worked. --76.4.xx.xxx
Tip of day (by melinda [MD]) Posted on: Oct 12, 2017 7:24 AM
Ally--- my mothers "trick" to make my father think that she had been cleaning all day --put the vacuum in the living room. --24.233.xxx.xx