Pay or Quit
Click here for Top Ten Discussions. CLICK HERE for Q & A Homepage
Receive Free Rental Owner Updates Email:  
MrLandlord Q & A
Pay or Quit (by Adam [VA]) Jan 12, 2011 6:51 AM
       Pay or Quit (by MJ [PA]) Jan 12, 2011 10:31 AM
       Pay or Quit (by Mike45 [NV]) Jan 12, 2011 10:40 AM
       Pay or Quit (by Barbara [VA]) Jan 12, 2011 11:19 AM
       Pay or Quit (by Pat [VA]) Jan 12, 2011 5:59 PM
       Pay or Quit (by Pat [VA]) Jan 12, 2011 6:00 PM
       Pay or Quit (by Chris [VA]) Jan 13, 2011 5:10 PM

Pay or Quit (by Adam [VA]) Posted on: Jan 12, 2011 6:51 AM

Seems that I will have to post a Pay or Quit Notice tomorrow. I've never had to do this before. Anyone have a sample form or a site where I can find one for the state of VA. How should I deliver this? Certified or regular mail or post on door?

Pay or Quit (by MJ [PA]) Posted on: Jan 12, 2011 10:31 AM

If you are not sure about your state's LT laws, you can read them up here on this website. Or you can just call and ask the local court clerk to file for eviction and they will tell you the law and the notice you must give. We have a 10 day standard pay or quit notice required and on the 11th day I can file for eviction. Read your lease also whether the tenant waived his right to this notice. You should send the notice out after you understand what you have to do exactly by do so by certified mail with signature receipt mailed back to you. Good luck.

Pay or Quit (by Mike45 [NV]) Posted on: Jan 12, 2011 10:40 AM

For residential, waivers of notices are frequently NOT valid.

MJ's reference to reading your state's laws: at the top of this page, there is a link that reads "Landlord/Tenant State Laws." Click on that and follow it through to your state's laws.

Be careful about advice on here -- your question is State specific, and what I can do in NV or what __ can do in Texas or ... doesn't matter. You need to know what the VA laws are.

Pay or Quit (by Barbara [VA]) Posted on: Jan 12, 2011 11:19 AM

Here is what I use. The judges always ask for it, but never coment one way or the other. I am assuming it is good for all VA courts. You will have to check the spelling yourself.


TO: (Tenants name and address)

Notice to you and all others in possession of the below premises, that you are herby notified to vacate, quit and deliver up the premesis you hold as our tenant, namely:

(address of rental)

You are to deliver up said premises within 5 days of receipt of the notice, pursuant to applicable state law. This notice is provided due to non-payment of rent. The present rent arrearage is in the amount of S(amount owed) based on the following account:

(detailed outline of how you reached the balance owed)

You may reinstate your tenancy by full payment of said arrears within 5 days as provided under the terms of your tenancy by applicable stae law. In the event you fail to bring your rent payment/balance due current of vacate the premises, we shall immediately take legal action to evict you and to recover rents and damages for the unlawful detention of said premises together with such future rents as may be due us for breach of your tenancy aggreement.

Signed (your name and address)

Proof of Service

I, the undersigned being at least eighteen years of age, declare under penalty of perjury that I served the within notice to pay rent or quit tenany of which this is a true copy on the above named tenant in the manner indicated below on (date you mailed out)

__I personally delivered a copy of the notice to tenant

__I mailed a true copy of the notice to tenant by certified mail

__I mailed a true copy of this notice to tenant by first-class mail (I use this)

Excuted on (Date)

Pay or Quit (by Pat [VA]) Posted on: Jan 12, 2011 5:59 PM

You don't want to use certified mail. They can refuse to sign for it. Use regular mail, & ask the post office worker for a "receipt of mailing" to their address. It doesn't cost very much, & shows that you sent a letter to them on that date. It is good to post notice on door too. (it makes them mad though, so be kind & put it in an envelope.) --71.51.xx.xx

Pay or Quit (by Pat [VA]) Posted on: Jan 12, 2011 6:00 PM

BTW, make a copy of all correspondence to them & have for your records. --71.51.xx.xx

Pay or Quit (by Chris [VA]) Posted on: Jan 13, 2011 5:10 PM

An attorney here in Virginia told me several years ago to send two copies to the tenant - one by regular mail and one by certified mail.

Subject: RE: Pay or Quit
Your Name:
Your State:

Pay or Quit
Would you like to be notified via email when somebody replies to this thread?
If so, you must include your valid email address here. Do not add your address more than once per thread/subject. By entering your email address here, you agree to receive notification from every time anyone replies to "this" thread. You will receive response notifications for up to one week following the original post. Your email address will not be visible to readers.
Email Address: